Edwin Mortimer Standing (1887-1967) was a close friend and assistant to pioneering Italian educator Maria Montessori for over thirty years.
This collection contains correspondence, diaries, lecture notes, manuscripts, essays, plays, poems, sketchbooks, and publications of E. M. Standing. Materials document the educational philosophy of Maria Montessori as seen through the writings and correspondence of E.M. Standing and reflect the growing interest in Maria Montessori's teachings and pedagogy from Europe and South Asia to the United States in the 1920s. The bulk of the materials in this collection are from circa 1939 to 1970. The collection is primarily in English.
The entire collection is not yet digitized but a finding aid for the E.M. Standing Collection on the Montessori Method, 1895-1980, can be found on the ArchivesWest website.
Browse the E.M. Standing Collection on the Montessori Method Collections:
- Chapter Outline Drafts, ca. 1957
- Diaries, 1962-ca.1965
- Lecture Outlines, 1962-ca.1963; n.d., Edwin Mortimer Standing, ca.1963; n.d.
- Manuscript Fragments, n.d., Edwin Mortimer Standing, n.d.
- Manuscripts, ca. 1921-ca.1966; n.d., Edwin Mortimer Standing
- Notebooks, ca. 1929-1940; n.d. [E.M.S.]
- Notecards n.d.
- Notes, ca. 1929-1948
- Notes, Uncredited [E.M.S.]
- Other Authors and Uncredited Manuscript Fragments, n.d.
- Plays, ca. 1925-1931 [E.M.S.]
- Poems, n.d. [E.M.S.]
- Sketchbook and Sketches, n.d.
- Transcripts, n.d.